It’s been a while, to put it mildly. I can’t really give any excuse other than, “PhDs are hard.” But, even though my time is still extremely limited, I’ve really been itching to start working on this project again. If nothing else, I want to let people know that I haven’t completely abandoned the project forever.
So let’s take look at where things are. Quizo’s been updating his branch quite a bit this past year, so I think it’s fair to say at this point that this is no longer the “main” branch of QTTabBar. To be honest, the temptation is there to just call it quits because of this. After all, I only started this project because Quizo disappeared, and now he’s back and active. Really, I think the best solution would be for me and him to work together on a single branch. I sent him an email recently asking if this was a possibility, but he politely declined. So that’s that.
But, even so, this project is just too much fun for me to give up. And I do have things I want to see implemented that might not be possible if I was working with Quizo. So, I think I’ll stick with it for now. But one thing I definitely think is necessary now though is making it clear that this is a fork of the original program, not a continuation of it. Our respective branches are just two alternatives now.
A while back I proposed the idea of renaming the project, going so far as to solicit suggestions. Afterwards, I backed off the idea because I decided it wasn’t worth losing the brand recognition this program has built over the years. However, now that Quizo’s developing and we’ve got two separate branches being developed concurrently, they cannot share the same name. I’ll probably end up calling mine something generic like FolderTabs; I generally prefer descriptive names anyway.
Anyway, let’s talk about the next version. It’s been something like forever since the last release. The next version is (and has been) almost complete other than a few isolated components (eg, the Desktop Tool). So here’s what I’m going to do. I’m going to disable, gray out, or otherwise remove anything that doesn’t look like I can’t completely finish it within a few weeks. The Desktop Tool will be one of them, maybe a few other relatively small things too. Then I’ll aim to release it by the end of the month. And we’ll go from there.
The other big thing I want to do is ditch SourceForge and move to Github. I think this will be a much better environment for the project, and will allow others who want to contribute the opportunity to do so. Hopefully this will go along with a nice new website to replace this crappy Wordpress installation… Seeing as how that web developer request has been hanging around for so long, I have a number of people asking to make me a web page, so if you’ve emailed me about that, you’ll hear from me if I need you.
I’ve been really bad about answering emails in general, so if you’ve emailed me in the past with some question and I haven’t responded, and you still want an answer, please send me another and I’ll try my best to respond.
I’ll make another post a little later about what my plans are for the future of the project.